Is your little boy or girl celebrating their 1 year birthday? The perfect way to mark the occasion is by adding a cake smash to the end of their birthday session. The concept for a cake smash is pretty simple: cake + hungry 1 year old = all the cuteness.
Here are some tips Camera Shy says will help make the cake smash birthday pictures perfect:
- The best age for a cake smash is 11-13 months old.
- Have baby try cake prior to their session so they know what it tastes like and can get excited about eating it.
- Schedule your session during a time of day the little one is usually the happiest. This might be right after lunch, midmorning, or even a few hours before bed.
- Choose a cake that is smaller sized. Camera Shy has found 6 or so inches works best.
- Bright colored frosting makes for a super fun mess!
- Avoid fondant, as it might be difficult for baby to break into.
- We recommend diaper covers or cloth diapers as opposed to disposable diapers for the best photos
If you have any further questions, contact your local Camera Shy in Orem, Lehi, Jordan Landing (West Jordan), or Gardner Village!
Note: We say cake smash, but you can really bring any messy food — pasta, pizza, tacos! It’s all adorable!